Home About Us Get Involved Multimedia Ghana Info Church Directory Contact
Adinkra Symbols
Adinkra are traditional symbols that pass on the wisdom
of Ghana and West Africa.

2004 Campaign Graphic

Monday, July 12, 2004

Ted called to say that they are on the road from Kamasi to Yendi (about a 12 hour drive). Ted says Daniel Stearsman is now a veteran campaigner -- having become an avid consumer of turkey tails (a Ghanaian fastfood) bought usually from roadside vendors in Nsawam.

We arrived safe in Yendi and were met by Niipaa Laar and a number of other brethren. Niipaak's wife had the whole group over for dinner which was very nice - rice, cabbage and guineas. We were late leaving Tema because of extra boxes that Glaxo contributed to the work. We are getting ready for bed and are all happy and well.


Tuesday, July 13, 2004

In Yendi, the group visited the leprosy center where we have four brothers in Christ. One had recently died and they distributed some food and money to help them out.

They were then able to visit a church run clinic and see how it operated. This is also where they picked up all of the medications, that had been purchased, that would be needed for the mobile clinics to be conducting this week.

They then visited a center for malnourished children and were also able to go over and talk to the well drilling team.

They then left Yendi for Bunkpurugu but along the way were misdirected and ended up headed for Togo. They corrected their course but because of the heavy rains, the bus slipped off the road and got stuck in the mud. All had to get out and push, along with the help of some twenty villagers.

When finally arriving at Bunkpurugu, they were pleasantly surprised to find very nice accommodations (for the area). The "motel" had been updated with a toilet, a shower and a solar powered fluorescent light in some fo the rooms. They had two or three people to a room and although there was no running water, at least they could take a bucket bath in semi-privacy.

In the evening, they headed out to do street preaching but heavy rains forced them to cancel. They turned around and started back to the motel, but in the rain, the clay road had become very slick and they lost control of the bus, ended up sideways on the road and stuck in the mud again. They all had to get back out into the rain and mud, and push the bus most of the way back.

They did make it back safely though and everyone was getting ready for bed; exhausted, but doing well. Tomorrow, they get up and start all over again.


Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Ted called and said they had a good day. No getting stuck in the mud.

They visited a school and interacted with the children and made a donation to their building program. Later they showed the Jesus film and Patrick Ford (Renee's brother) delivered a sermon. Four responded and requested baptism but there was no water available at that location. They are coming tomorrow to the compound and the group will take them for baptism.

Daniel Stearsman isn’t feeling well, upset stomach and a low grade fever. Malaria’s incubation time is a minimum of eight days but they decided to go ahead and treat it as malaria just in case. It could be just the good ol’ American flu.


Thursday- Saturday, July 15-17, 2004

We thank Renee Wheeler for forwarding this report she received on Saturday morning (July 17).

Ted called and reports that they have been very busy and running on three hours of sleep a night. They are having problems keeping all of their battery operated stuff charged -- which also includes their satellite phone.

Since talking to me last, they have gone to the well that the ladies from Orange St. sent money for. They poured the concrete to finish it off and met the chief of the community. The group offered the chief, who is over 90, a seat in the air-conditioned bus while they were there and gave him a baggie of trail mix. He really enjoyed that.

The next day, yesterday, they had a clinic where they treated @ 150-200 people. The chief showed up again and asked Patrick for more trail mix. There was another chief there and so the two of them had trail mix and peanut butter crackers. Such simple things and yet so meaningful.

There was a Ghanaian sister bitten by a viper and she was taken to a hospital a few hours away to be treated with the anti-venom.

Last night they had street preaching after showing the Jesus video. Brother Daniel Stearsman preached an bro. Niipaak Laar interpreted and extended the invitation. Ted said that they both did a wonderful job. There were 34 responses. They went a mile or two and dug out a place where there was shallow water to make it deep enough for baptism. What a wonderful day!

Daniel is feeling all better and everyone else is well. Today they were supposed to have another clinic but it was rained out. They will use the day to mingle with the townspeople and introduce themselves to the local marketplace and the people there. This morning Ted and Niipak went to check on the sister who was bitten by the snake and to pay her medical bills. Anti-venom is expensive and thankfully God provided help for this Christian sister, not only physically and spiritually, but also monetarily. The sister was one of seven snake bite victims and was doing better than the others and is expected to be fine.

God truly watches over us. Thank you all for giving so generously this year. Things like this come up every year and sometimes we had needs that we just could not meet. With all of us doing what we can and being willing to help when able,we glorify God and Jesus and the church that he died for.

Please continue to keep them all in your prayers.


As reported by Daniel Stearsman on his return home. Ted is still in Ghana.

Monday, July 19, 2004

This was the second of our clinic days. Saturday the 17th got rained out. This was a far better experience than the first clinic. We wisened up a little in our procedure.

The first clinic held on the prior Friday (7/16) was a nightmare. The people were pressing on top of us. We could hardly hear. We were cut off from the breeze, due to the crowds. It was to end at 3 PM, but we didn't leave till after 4PM. It was held outside under a tree in Gbetimong (pronounced Beta-mong). But, the well drilling in this village, plus the clinic had a great impact we believe on the gospel. That night when we preached there were probably 300-500 people who watched the film and heard the gospel. That night there were 34 baptisms and the following Sunday, 11 more. This clinic ended up seeing 132 patients.

This clinic was held in a school house in the village of Gbingbani (??) (pronounced Bing-Bon- nee). This was a far more efficient clinic. We had rope and crowd control in place and were able to see 286 patients (418 total). You didn't have to be medically trained to have an impact. We needed the help of all the group. Some were prepackaging malaria treatments. Some were dealing with the crowds (and those who would cunningly try to push to the front). There was a job for everyone. There were wounds that needed attention, candy to give away. It's difficult to imagine a medical environment such as Bunkpurugu (of which Gbingbani is a village). Bunkpurugu is a large community of 100,000 people including all these villages. For that community, there are few medically trained. There was 1 medic (the medical director with whom we worked) and we heard of another medically trained individual (who was reportedly a drunk!). The fact that there may be 1-3 other individuals who practice medicine (in the manner as the medic) for this entire population is unbelievable by our standards. All complicated matters are sent to Yendi hospital, which is a 2-3 hour journey away over rough terrain. There is no guarantee that you will be treated efficiently or effectively when you get to Yendi. As frustrated as we get with our Medical treatments (dealing with HMO's, long wait times, scheduling MD appointments, etc.), at least it is somewhat accessible to us. Most of the patients that we saw where treated for malaria, parasitic worms, skin infections, some ophthalmic infections, malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, protein deficiency, and inflammatory disorders (which were often described as "waist pain", likely from carrying heavy object on there heads/backs for years over long distances). The people were tremendously greatful! It's hard to tell the impact of the clinic on the community, since we were there so briefly. What we do know is that the people are aware of who we are as Christians and are exposed to the benevolence of Christ offered by the clinic. Many missionaries (denominational or otherwise) do not venture this far North because it such an extreme experience. The impact of the clinic and the growth of the church in that area we may never know this side of eternity. We pray that it's impact may continue.


Tuesday, July 20, 2004

We traveled from Bunkpurgu back to Yendi, where we dropped the medications back off, along with the generator and headed to Mole (where the game reserve is). What a refreshing experience -- rooms with running water, and toilets that filled themselves (if the water was on), and AC (ahhh!). Although, our AC unit sounded like it was giving birth at different times throughout the night! We found no other small AC units in the morning! Ha!! We ate a restaurant at the reserve. The menu was comical. There was a pretty extensive menu listed (and we had notions of home). But basically what available was chicken and rice or rice and chicken or guinea fowl. Although there were Yam fries. We were thankful for the AC, food, and to be somewhere closer to home in our "time machine".


Wednesday, July 21, 2004

We spent Wednesday in the game reserve at Mole. We were greated by baboons in the morning, who are not shy of coming up to you and taking any food items you may have. We observed multiple elephants, gazelle, wart hogs, and many dearlike animals (where hunters like Ted salivated). The proximity to the elephants (and our guide cocking his gun, while telling us to retreat) was most exhillerating. We were in their home.


Thursday, July 22, 2002

We traveled back to Tema where we stayed at Earnest Apeadu's house.


Friday, July 23, 2002

We went to High street in Accra (the big market center for souvenirs). I got to spend much of the day with Bob and Jim and enjoyed the fellowship and sharing war stories. I thought Bob was going to beat up his navigation crew!!


Saturday, July 24, 2002

We traveled to Elmina castle (a center for slave trade from the mid 1600s on) and to the swinging bridges. Elmina was a humbling experience as 2/3 of the slaves died. The only hope a woman had of being free was to be impregnated by the governor, to have the child, and then she would be set free. Refusal of the governor's sexual advances placed the subject in the courtyard where they were made a public example by being chained to a canon ball for 24 hours. Men who attempted to rebel were often put in solitary confinement where starved to death.


Sunday, July 25, 2002

We divided up and went to various congregations. Ted let me do the radio program Sunday AM. That was first for me. He said that there could have been 1.5-2 million Ghanaians listening. The FM station reaches far throughout the country. I was sent with 2 other sisters to the Lebanon Rd church of Christ. The singing was amazing. Many of the questions that the brethren are likeour own. They asked about the impact of culture on worship. Irony peaked when one brother asked a question about the final state of those individuals in the villages of Ghana who had never heard the gospel or who had heard and obeyed a perverted form. I tried to teach them that God's provision of salvation exists only in Christ, that all are ameniable (even those in the villages) to Christ and His teaching, that Biblcally ignorance does not excuse a person, lest one be saved by a means other than Christ (thus God let Him see corruption when salvation was available by other means). The irony was "thick" in that here (in to us -- are the remote regions of the earth) they were asking the same question. While those who have perverted His gospel are numerous, this question makes me wonder if the "remote regions" are more places in our minds than in reality. It is comforting to know that although these brethren are 8000 miles away from us, they are not that different from us in the questions and struggles they have. My appreciation for our brethren of Christ has grown immensely. I do not hesitate to say that the greatest individuals who walk this earth are members of the Lord's body, His Church. I am thankful to be associated with them. While to the Ghanaians we are a tremendous source of encouragement and strength, we were the ones who seemed encouraged most. Our association with the Ghanaians and their great warmth made us long for eternity-- to know them better, to enjoy there fellowship, and to endlessly commune with God.

What a blessing it was to be in Ghana!

From here we would have lunch and get ready for our long journey home.


"Thank you", to all who encourage us, pray for us and support us in this work. As we work together - it is my prayer that God will bless our efforts richly to His glory and the saving of many souls.